Monday, October 1, 2007

The Furniture's Returning to its Goodwill Home.

Tiny Bits of News:

1. The Weakerthans are putting out a new album. I'm downloading it now. The two tracks on the Epitaph Records website are really good. I'm super pumped to listen to this for the next few months. I really needed a new album by them- especially right now. I have been in a Weakerthans mood of late.

Also- I am going to be putting out a Weakerthans/My Autumn Friend remix EP. On their site they have some "karaoke" mp3s and I plan on using those to mess around with. It's kind of an experiment for me. We'll see how it sounds. It's kinda just more for me so that I can maybe trick myself into thinking I've worked with them in some way.

John K. Samson is one of my most favorite and admired lyricists. I really love his words. I hope one day mine might be at least one tenth as good as his.

2. Jimmy Eat World has a new album coming out. Who knew? What a stealth album release. It comes out in like a week or something. I downloaded the 'demos' which, if they are anything like the Futures demos, they will be the exact same songs just with a click track counting the songs off. They sound pretty finished to me. Good stuff. Better than the last album I think. The only gripe I have is that the new version of "Carry You" is not nearly as good as the old version- at least I think.

3. Bottle Rocket and Rushmore are screening at the New Beverly cinema on October 7th-9th. I am way stoked. Way. Stoked.

4. Annie Hall and Manhattan are also gonna be at the New Bev on October 19th-20th. Again, way stoked. Way. Stoked.

5. I watched A Winter Observed again last night. I'm pretty proud of that movie.

6. my nose itches.

7. agh. still itching!

8. Ahh. There. All better.

Sleep Well.

-Joe

PS- Here are some of my favorite John K. Samson/Weakerthan lyrics:

"LEFT AND LEAVING

My city's still breathing (but barely it's true)
through buildings gone missing like teeth.
The sidewalks are watching me think about you,
sparkled with broken glass.
I'm back with scars to show.
Back with the streets I know will never take me anywhere but here.
The stain in the carpet, this drink in my hand,
the strangers whose faces I know.
We meet here for our dress-rehearsal to say " I wanted it this way"
Wait for the year to drown.
Spring forward, fall back down.
I'm trying not to wonder where you are.
All this time lingers, undefined.
Someone choose who's left and who's leaving.
Memory will rust and erode into lists of all that you gave me:
a blanket, some matches, this pain in my chest, the best parts of Lonely,
duct-tape and soldered wires, new words for old desires, and every birthday card I threw away.
I wait in 4/4 time. Count yellow highway lines that you're relying on to lead you home."

No comments: